1. If you are trying smoothies for the first time you may want to start with fruit and gradually add vegetables such as avocado as this helps to make a smoothie smooth. It’s also an idea to use a small quantity of a particular vegetable to start with and then add to it according to your taste – so rather than adding a full avocado add ¼ and then gradually increase according to your taste and purse!
2. For an ideal breakfast choose a bowl of fresh sliced or chopped seasonal fruit or your personal favourite fruit before drinking your smoothie. Ideally leave 25 – 30 minutes for your body to digest the fruit before having the smoothie.
3. Experiment with various vegetables, fruits and spices to find one you really like and would recommend to friends – that way you will not get bored.
4. NEVER add sugar to your smoothies, especially refined sugar – fruit has a natural sugar called fructose which is converted into sucrose and glycogen and is stored and used when the body needs it as glucose. If you feel you need to sweeten your smoothie then a ½ – 1 teaspoon of honey or agave syrup can be used instead
5. All fresh ingredients should be consumed immediately so that you have the freshest nutrients, however if you have made a large quantity use within 24 hours stored in an air tight container in the fridge.
6. Instead of being tempted by eating sweets (candy) biscuits or cakes as snacks try replacing with a smoothie for mid morning or mid afternoon, which are filling and are nutritiously sustaining for longer and a boost to energy levels
7. To make your smoothie creamy do not add regular or soy milk, instead add a nut milk like almond or cashew or if you can’t eat nuts then add banana, coconut or avocado which add a creaminess to a smoothie
8. Add liquid to the blender first as this prevents the ingredients becoming clogged up in the blades. Add fresh ice cubes to make your smoothie colder – allow time to mix all ingredients together and the ice to break down into crystals
9. We have seasons (different times of the year) for a reason so try to buy fresh fruit and vegetables which are in season, that way you are assured of variety, a wonderful rainbow of colour and nutrition all year round
10. Your smoothie is no fool! – stay healthy and fit don’t add cream or ice-cream to a smoothie. If you have a sweet tooth try adding a sprinkle of cinnamon to your smoothie as cinnamon contains chromium which may help to balance your blood sugar levels – apple and cinnamon lovely!